How to Deactivate Facebook and Still Use Messenger
If you feel like you spend too much time reading through the latest status updates on Facebook but uses Messenger app on a regular basis to keep in touch with family and friends, there is a way to deactivate Facebook and still use Messenger. Checking Facebook for updates can often lead to information overload. If you’re like me who feel like had enough of posts on Facebook but still might not be able to stop from checking the social networking site multiple times a day, maybe you are thinking of quitting Facebook altogether.
Facebook wants as many people using Messenger as possible. Now, anyone can sign up for Messenger without using a Facebook account. You only need to provide your phone number to get started. After that, the mobile app can create your friend list based on your contacts.
Deactivate Facebook And Still Use Messenger
Note: Always read carefully the reminders and description before deactivating your account.
Before you proceed to deactivate your Facebook account, you may want to have a backup of your account data. You don’t need to do this, but in the event, you decide not to reactivate, you’ve got a copy of all your posts and photos. To do this, log in to Facebook on a desktop and go to Settings > General and click Download a copy of your Facebook data.
Here’s how to keep Messenger up and running while giving thyself well-deserved hiatus from Facebook:
- Go to Settings > Security and click on Deactivate your account. Facebook may ask you to re-enter your password for security verification.
- You will then see a page wherein you need to provide the reason why you wanted to leave Facebook. Below this, keep the box untick on Messenger: Opt out of receiving messages on Messenger.
- When you think everything is all set up, click on Deactivate. Facebook will ask for your password to confirm the deactivation.
- Launch the Messenger app on your phone and you’ll see a screen called ‘Keep Using Messenger.’ However, you cannot use Messenger via the web.
via the Facebook app
- Log in to your Facebook app and go to Settings > Account Settings > Security and tap Deactivate.
- The steps on doing it via the Facebook app is similar on your desktop browser. Choose the reason why you’re leaving Facebook, and now select the option saying
- Launch the Messenger app on your phone and you’ll see a screen called ‘Keep Using Messenger.’ Remember, you cannot use Messenger via the web at this time until you reactivate your Facebook account.
Easy right? You may want to update your family and friends about your plan of deactivating your Facebook account before doing it. Now you have less distraction from Facebook, actually none, while keeping in touch with your family and friends.